The more I think about it, the more I think poor people are the most math savvy folks on the Earth.
Yeah you’ve got your physicists and your astronomers and all those folks with theoretical math that can tell you how fast the Earth turns or whatever and they’re very smart…
if you try to wake me up by pulling my blankets off ill probably kill you
“[Trigger warning for talk of abuse and anger]
Developing the ability to piss other people off (or even to RISK pissing them off) without knuckling under is pretty much the Holy Grail of emotionally abused kids, I think. We are programmed to respond at the first sign of displeasure, and we don’t have the faith in ourselves and our decisions to weather the storm– or even a mild sprinkle– so we tend to freak out as if the world was ending if a cloud crosses the sun. We freak out about the possibility that we’re wrong, that we’re doing the wrong things, that we’re making the wrong choices, that we’ll make someone angry, because there’s this awful certainty lurking at the back of our minds that says “If you do the wrong thing, you will be in TROUBLE.” And being in TROUBLE is the worst thing, ever, because that part of our brain is forever three years old where our parents are our whole world and being in TROUBLE is the end of everything.
It takes a lot of practice to gain that sort of gut-level knowledge that we’re strong enough to handle this stuff and that the world doesn’t end if someone else is angry at us. It’s not an innate quality that some people have and some don’t; people who grow up in non-abusive homes learn it when they’re young, is all, and the rest of us have to learn it when we’re grown up. And it sucks, and it’s not fair, and it’s not fun, but there’s no getting around it, and you can do it, you CAN.
You can piss people off.
You can be wrong.
You can fuck up.
You can do stuff that everyone thinks is weird.
AND IT IS ALL OKAY. The world won’t end. You will still be a good person. And the likelihood is that most of the things you do WON’T be wrong, and WON’T piss people off, and WON’T be up-fuckery, and WON’T be weird, but if it is? The hell with it; fix it, if necessary, and move on.”
Hiiiii my life.
Nearly crying now. Because I don’t know this. And it just clicked that these lessons keep getting reinforced because holy shit abusive relationships.
Grandma started crying, and I lost it.
omg you guize! we are so excited about all our followers – there are almost 900 of you! we want to show our love and appreciation so we’re doing a giveaway!
rules of da game:
- you must follow fuckyeahfatvegans. duh.
- unfortunately only continental united states only. postage ain’t cheap, but it’s pretty necessary.
- reblogs only. we don’t really care how much because we’re using a random generator to find the winner.
- if there’s anything you don’t want, just let us know and we won’t send it.
- the giveaway ends february 17th.
here’s what we got:
– 1 zebra print hankie
– 1 bottle of aveda hand cream and foot cream
– 4 Medusa loose eye dust (colors: atlantis, fascination, wasabi, blow)
– 1 cannister of Osmanthus Oolong tea
– 1 container of chrysanthemum tea
– 5 pairs of gold tone bird earrings
– 1 silver tone deer necklace
– 1 wiggly fish keychain
– 1 container of handmade sugar scrub (ingredients: sugar, safflower oil, lavender, camomomile)
– 2 sheets of puppy and kitten stickers
– 2 handmade recycled paper books
– 1 fish print
– 1 bird print
– 2 zines
– 13 political buttons
– 1 small glitter jar
– 2 packs of incense (triloka brand, lemongrass and coconut)
– 1 bottle of ylang ylang essential oil
AND THERE’S MORE
A reminder about our giveaway, and reminder that only reblogs count for submission to the contest. We won’t be figuring in likes.
do you ever just wake up and go “nope” and roll over and go back to sleep
He’s my Dad’s Dad, so it’s complicated. I didn’t see him from age 12 to age 24, so I don’t feel like I knew him all that well, but I’m still getting hit with all this grief.
I couldn’t sleep anymore, so I got up at 5 and showered. Now I am staring down a breakfast I don’t think I can eat.